Josh Aloiai has slammed Paul Gallen as “distasteful” and called into question the character of the former Sharks star.
Aloiai was ruled out of their bout next month after testing positive for COVID-19, which Gallen described as “convenient” timing.
“Josh Aloiai got what he needed,” Gallen said during a press conference today, which announced former NRL player Darcy Lussick as his new opponent, replacing Aloiai.
“He doubled his Instagram followers, Manly know his name now.”
Now Aloiai has hit back, telling Wide World of Sports Gallen had put his bank balance ahead of his character by going after someone who is sick with coronavirus.
“I think it’s really distasteful from Paul to continue running someone down in the media when they’re sick with COVID,” Aloiai said.
“I think the way he carried himself leading up to fights used to be to sell the fight and now it’s seeped into his character and it’s who he really is. One minute he’s advocating for men’s mental health and then he’s carrying on like this.”
Aloiai also took aim at Gallen for accepting two minute rounds against Darcy Lussick. The 40-year-old previously said he was “embarrassed” to be fighting two minute rounds against Aloiai.
“After all the jaw jacking about rounds and times, he’s fighting three two-minute rounds. It’s really laughable,” Aloiai said.
“He’ll try blame the late replacement but he could have easily fought one of the many heavyweight boxers in Australia that would have done the supposed three minute rounds that he was after, couldn’t he?
“Nope, he goes with another football player. And has the heart to talk about respecting boxing. Everyone with a brain will see him for what he is now.”
Aloiai believes Gallen was scared to take him on, saying: “Multiple people from his inner circle told me he’s relieved about the replacement because he was more uneasy than they’ve ever seen him leading into a fight.
“The only times he’s shown any type of courage or confidence is when I was originally approached to fight but was in hospital suffering Meningitis as well as a reaction to a lumbar puncture… and secondly, now that I’ve got COVID-19.”
The new bout featuring Lussick will shift from Newcastle to Sydney’s Star Event Centre and will take place on December 22.
For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!