Home » Pies list manager quits after controversial trades

Pies list manager quits after controversial trades

The architect behind Collingwood’s controversial salary cull, list manager Ned Guy, has quit the club.

Collingwood’s staff and players were notified of Guy’s decision to leave his post on Thursday afternoon, with the list manager set to depart following the mid-season draft on June 2.

Guy was responsible for the controversial trade of Adam Treloar to the Western Bulldogs as well as the move to send Jaidyn Stephenson to North Melbourne and Tom Phillips to Hawthorn for very little in exchange.

According to The Age, Guy chose to leave the post of his own volition, rather than being pushed out by the club amid a horror start to the 2021 season.

Guy’s tenure at Collingwood began in the summer of 2017, and he oversaw the ill-fated trade to bring Dayne Beams back to the club in 2018 as well as signing two-time All-Australian ruckman Brodie Grundy to a lucrative seven-year extension in 2019.

Newly-installed football boss Graham Wright is expected to assume the role as interim list manager following Guy’s exit until the club appoints his successor.

“We’re disappointed to be losing Ned. His experience as a player manager and list manager, along with his finance background, have been invaluable,” Wright said in a club statement on Thursday.

“Recalibrating our player payments structure was a tough and necessary job. Our future payments profile is healthier in large part to him. In years to come his achievements will become clearer.

“I’m pleased he can stay with us until after the draft – he will always be welcome at Collingwood – and as disappointed as we are to be losing him I wish him well on his new direction.”

It is unclear whether Guy’s exit will be the sole change to Collingwood’s football department, after The Age’s Sam McClure flagged “major changes” at the club.

“My understanding is there is going to be major changes to their football department in the next one to two weeks,” McClure told Nine’s Footy Classified on Wednesday.

In addition to changes in the football department, ex-Nine Network managing director Jeff Browne is expected to challenge for the club’s presidency at the end of the year.

Browne’s expected challenge comes despite Mark Korda being officially ratified as Eddie McGuire’s successor as Collingwood president last month.

“There is growing support for that,” McClure said of Browne’s candidacy.

“There is change still wanted at the Collingwood Football Club, and as we speak, there is an alternate ticket being put together with Jeff Browne as president.

“There is still the threat of of an EGM looming on the Collingwood Football Club, the same threat (ex-president Eddie McGuire) said the club didn’t need.”

For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!

Leave a Reply