Home » Hussey reportedly tests positive to COVID-19

Hussey reportedly tests positive to COVID-19

The cricket world has been left shocked by the news Australian legend Mike Hussey has reportedly tested positive for COVID-19.

The 45-year-old known as “Mr Cricket” is a batting coach for the Chennai Super Kings in the Indian Premier League.

The Times of India reports Hussey had become the first Australian in the IPL bubble to test positive.

“Hussey was tested and his sample came positive. We sent it for retesting but that has also come positive,” an IPL source told the publication

Australian cricket great Michael Hussey. (Getty)

The IPL was suspended on Tuesday night after several players tested positive.

The Kolkata Knight Riders were placed in isolation after players Varun Chakravarthy and Sandeep Warrier caught the virus, along with three staff members from the Super Kings.

The decision to suspended the competition was made when Sunrisers Hyderabad wicketkeeper Wriddhiman Saha — a teammate of David Warner — fell victim to the virus.

Hussey is one of several Australians trapped in the country because of Scott Morrison’s decision to enforce a hard border closure.

There are currently 30 Australian players, commentators, umpires and coaching staff participating in the IPL with the likes of Steve Smith, Pat Cummins, David Warner and Ricky Ponting stuck in the subcontinent.

Hussey is stuck in India with several other Australians. (Getty)

Australians now face an uncertain wait to get home considering the Morrison government committing to the travel ban.

The Prime Minister announced last week that Australian cricket players and coaches in India would not be given special treatment.

“They’ve travelled there privately under their own arrangements. This wasn’t part of an Australian tour,” Morrison said.

“And they’re under their own resources and they’ll be using those resources, I’m sure, to see them return to Australia in accordance with our own arrangements.”

IPL commentator and former Australian Test batter Michael Slater said the Prime Minister has “blood on his hands” after making the decision.

Slater tweeted on Monday evening: “If our Government cared for the safety of Aussies they would allow us to get home. It’s a disgrace!

“Blood on your hands PM. How dare you treat us like this. How about you sort out quarantine system.

“I had government permission to work on the IPL but I now have government neglect.”

Slater flew to the Maldives on the weekend, where he will wait until he can legally return home. According to News Corp the other Australians in India are considering a similar ploy with reports also suggesting the players may order a charter flight to Dubai.

MORE TO COME.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *